Saturday, October 4, 2008

Homeschooling about ISRAEL



Hi, everyone! I have been missing "blogging", although I've had lots to talk about. I just haven't made it online to write. However, I won't try to catch up. Instead I have a request from my international friends, especially any in Israel.

My girls and I are currently learning about Israel for our Geography studies. They have an outline "map" of Israel, but this is merely a black and white outline of the state (by the way, would we call Israel a "state" or a "country"?) and I've had the children place a mark where the capital of Jerusalem would be. However, I'd like a better map of Israel and am having difficulty finding one.

Does anyone have any suggestions of book titles that I might look for regarding Israel (non-fiction) or children's stories with settings in Israel or any aspect of life in Israel (fiction). My girls are ages 7 and 10, so any reading suggestions for that age group would be so appreciated. I have searched my own library for titles but have been unsuccessful in finding much. So does anyone have any suggestions of books that might be fun for my children to read?

Also, I would just LOVE to show my children what a real shekel looks like, something they can hold and feel for themselves. Can anyone send a sample of Israeli currency?

I would also like to ask if anyone has a sample of Israeli stamps, used or new, that they could send to my girls. Did I read that Israeli stamps actually have "Israel" written in the 3 languages spoken, Hebrew, Arabic, and English? This book I read is from 1987, 21 years ago, so I don't know if some of the information is still accurate today. But I do know that a few stamps to include in their notebooks would make studying even more fun for them, I'm sure.

Can anyone help us learn more about Israel in these ways or perhaps some other way you might think of? Any websites that you think might be helpful for us to refer to? Drop me a comment here or email me by clicking on the mailbox in the right column if you have any ideas or can help us in this study of Israel. Thank you in advance. I know that there are fellow knitters and crocheters out there in Israel, and I hope to hear from someone soon.

I think I need an Israeli penpal...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Israel is a very nice country to learn about.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I see your partially suspended at swap-bot.com. And if you've got a lot going on right now I understand. I thought it would be easiest if the person who sends to you, sends to the person you send to. This way you don't have to worry about all these swaps coming up due and you have to rush trying to make all these new ones get out on top of the other ones to make up. If this is a problem just let me know within a few days and I'll see what i can do.

Jenn

Anonymous said...

Nothing about Israeli stamps, but did you know...
England is the only country which does not put the name of the country on its stamps.

Janey
janeyknitting[AT]yahoo[DOT]ca
(Change bracketed caps to symbols.)