Monday, January 17, 2005

My latest projects...

I have been getting a little bit of crocheting in, but not as much as I'd like. However, let's focus on what I have done!

I began this project during our trip to my mom Janis' up in Dahlonega, Georgia New Year's weekend. It went relatively quickly and I really loved working with this new yarn. It is "Wiggles" by TLC, I believe. I got it for Christmas from my mom Cheryl, who works at JoAnn's, and I really like it. I think I got this pattern from a recent magazine, though I can't recall which one right now. I think it was a knitting/crocheting publication. The pattern was just used to start the hat, but I finished the edging differently, thanks to some suggestions from my mom Janis. And there's a "hole" in the top of the hat that I'm a little disappointed in, but I am thinking of a flower or pom-pom crocheted into it, to cover it. The hat is initially worked as a side-to-side pattern, not "in-the-round", and then the two edges are stitched together to form the cap. The original pattern was a pink hat with no ruffled edge. Like I said, it was just to get me started. Jessie sure loves her hat, and that makes me proud. I caught her wearing it around the house while she was brushing her teeth!



I began this coaster while at Tybee Island. I did just finish this coaster last week, however. It wasn't hard...just difficult to find the time. I need to block it, but I really like how it turned out. Oh, and if you're interested in making it, the pattern is here




Lately I have been placing on hold, using our library loan system, and checking out the newest crochet books. As a preliminary to buying my own copies, of course! Here are a few I've been able to check out. I like them all, but I must really say that Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet is going to be the first book I try to buy. What a wonderful reference source and so beautifully illustrated! A definite book for any crocheter's library. (Crochet for Tots by Nancy Queen would be next on my list to buy, very cute patterns! Now to try to check out the books by Candi Jensen - they're too new for the loan system at my library. {frowning})



There was a stitch in Donna Kooler's book that I decided to work up as I really like the look. It's called Stacked Diamonds, but I think it also looks like a 'spider' stitch. My 'swatch' is being worked up into a bookmark. I really like the way it is looking. I can't wait to finish it and block it. It'll make a pretty gift for someone, don't you think?



Oh, and while driving down to Tybee Island (well, hubby was driving, not me!) I also played around with my Red Heart TIKI yarn and made a flower with it. It is not as pretty as I thought it'd be...no definition. You can't really see the petals. I think this flower would be better crocheted in thread or yarn, not one of the 'unique' yarns out there like this half thread/half chenille stuff. Remember my previous description of this? It looks like a chenille that got a buzz haircut every inch of its length!



That's about all for now. I hope you enjoyed seeing my latest projects as much as I enjoyed making them!

2 comments:

noricum said...

Simply wonderful... all of it, even the flower. :) I'm jealous. ;)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday from your Crochetville Secret Pal! Okay, I know I'm starting early, but I got your name yesterdaz and today's your birthday! So I _had_ to! :)

Happy Birthday!