Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Wool is scratchy...


So does anyone know how to make wool "un-scratchy"???

I made a scarf a couple of days with a some wool, thinking to myself that it would be too scratchy and noone would want to wear this around his neck! But I continued and finished the scarf. DH "tried it out" today (it's not for him, mind you) and came back inside and confirmed "This IS scratchy." HELP! I can't give this scarf as a gift! It won't be worn!

So my question is for you wool fans out there, is there a way to soften wool to remove that scratchy quality? Please advise! And HURRY!

4 comments:

Marina said...

Have you tried hair conditioner?

jess said...

what kind of wool/yarn is it?

typically washing it in some eucalan (or other wool wash-- NOT woolite, which actually strips the fiber) or some hair conditioner will do the trick and make it softer.

Good luck!

Christina said...

I was going to suggest hair conditioner as well. I had to use it to tame an old doll's hair and it worked wonders.

Kathy said...

I'd suggest Knot Forgot (or something like that, used to be called Slip) by Aussie. Walmart has it in the hair products; and when my hair was long and tangly, it was the only reason I could keep it long.