Monday, September 11, 2006

READING OUT LOUD



Saturday was a good day for reading. It's not often that I actually get to READ a book.

Book I'm reading I began a book titled "The God I Love, A Memoir", by Joni Eareckson Tada. This woman has been an inspiration to me ever since I first heard about her story when I was a teenager. For any of you who don't know who she is, she was just an ordinary girl, now a woman in her 50's I believe, who broke her neck while diving in a lake as a teenager. As a result, she is a quadriplegic who can paint gorgeous pictures, write beautiful stories, and sing sweet music. I'm always inspired by her when I read or see or hear anything from her. So when I happened upon this book while casually glancing at the many books on the library shelf last week, it was the single book I checked out to bring home. I'm not finished with it yet, but I am enjoying it and would certainly recommend it. And actually, I was reading it out loud Saturday while my husband was resting in his recliner. He enjoys when I read out loud. Perhaps it's his way of "reading" a book without actually reading it! And then again, perhaps he just likes to hear me read.

Book is Read in 6 hrs! I picked up a paperback book at the store Saturday evening with the intention of sending it to someone in particular. But after reading the summary, I knew I had to read it "first"! It is Nancy Taylor Rosenberg's book "Abuse of Power" and is about corruption in a police department. The female officer in the story is obviously not one to "go with the flow" of the "good ole' boy system" in her police department so as the cover reads "Justice is on her side. Her police colleagues are not."

Of course, those of you who have read my blog last year and know a little about my own husband's situation as a correctional officer know why this book piqued my interest. Well it piqued my husband's interest, too, and do you know I began reading this book OUT LOUD about 10 o'clock Saturday night and finished it around 4 or 5 Sunday morning?! It was a great read yet disappointingly the events were so familiar. Though it is a work of fiction, the author admits she used real life events reported by the media.

Tommy stayed awake listening as I read the entire story out loud! I think he was inspired by the book himself because he told me that perhaps he could write a book. Oh boy, he sure could!

But then, THAT'S another story...

1 comment:

LG said...

Nice to share your reading! I´m with Dan Brown´s "Digital Fortress", very good!